Saturday 31 August 2013

And so it ends...


Well, it's official, another summer holiday is coming to a close, and I've got mixed feelings about it. I'm excited for the return to routine, and for my daughter to be reunited with her school mates. I am also excited for fall; crisp evenings, cozy sweaters and the changing scenery as the leaves turn from green to red, orange and yellow. The fall is also full of things that bring people together. From thanksgiving, reuniting with the parents I commiserate with on the school ground and various dinner parties. And then, of course, we are just under four months away from the Christmas break! What's not to get excited about?

On the flip side, the end of summer also means the end of warm sunny days at the beach, and just a general relaxed feeling to the days. I have already seen an increase in the workload through the month of August, but September marks my bi-annual travel for sales markets, the return of my PAC responsibilities, and the inevitable return of the myriad of extra-curricular activities for my children. I must admit I have truly enjoyed this summer and its relaxed nature, and am apprehensive about saying farewell.

So it seems only fitting that to close out the summer I do everything I have come to enjoy these past two months. From lots of time with friends, to "date night" with my husband at the Whitecaps and of course plenty of family time, I have to say my labour day weekend was pretty perfect. Be it the fact that this summer held less change for my family and I as we have settled into new roles (blogger, sales rep, student, social media guru), or the excitement of our travels back East, there was something that made this summer one of the best I've had in sometime. So as I write from a hotel room in Edmonton, fully immersed in the insanity that is the fashion buying season, I am nostalgic for the summer that was.

But, as with all things, summer must come to an end, and I do look forward to fall and winter. I look forward to crunching leaves under my tires, and new beginnings, with my son ever closer to riding  a bike on his own, my husband busy with more inspiring films, another exciting school year for my daughter, and for any challenges and changes that come my way. I also remind myself that I am just three months away from the next break, and lots of fantastic adventures with the family. I may be sad to say goodbye to summer, but to fall I say, "bring it on"!

No comments:

Post a Comment