Saturday 1 February 2014

Overload ~ Remembering to Take Time for Myself

The month of January has been quite a bundle of activity for me. With a return to school for the kids and work for me, a promise to myself to dedicate more time to my yoga practice, and reigniting my volunteer responsibilities at the school and within my co-op, there has certainly been no shortage of activity. Add to that the excitement of learning that my lovely husband and I will be travelling to Auckland later this year, and all the love I've received for my posts so far and I'm running on overdrive. So it should come as no surprise that this week, I started to show sign of burning out. By Wednesday, I was feeling pretty much out for the count, and realizing it was time to take some rest.

Cautiously making their way down the hill
at Great Northern Way and Clark. One day they'll
enjoy the rush of going downhill

Thankfully, this week included a PD Day for my daughter, meaning forced relaxation with her being home. Having found also this month that our son has been reluctant to go to preschool, claiming missing his mom, we decided he would stay home for the day as well. After a somewhat relaxing morning, even with our trip to the dentist first thing, the kids and I headed out on our bicycles to not only enjoy the beautiful sunny day we were gifted, but also to have a family lunch with my husband, something we haven't done in quite some time.

To some, taking a ride with children wouldn't seem like a relaxing endeavour, but it's been far too long since I've ridden my bike with my children at my side. Also, riding along the seawall at an extreme leisurely pace isn't quite strenuous. I got to listen to the ramblings of a five year old, which are simultaneously insightful and ridiculous, and enjoy riding next to my mini-me, my daughter riding her almost matching red bike. Along the way, we had the lovely opportunity to watch a harbour seal pop out of the water briefly before diving back under water for food, and the beauty of the snow capped mountains contrasted by some blossoms showing the first signs of spring. It really was a lovely way to spend the afternoon.
Happily enjoying a sunny ride instead of being at school
Blue skies ahead as arrive at the Seawall
Proof that Spring is not far away for Vancouver

My munchkins always love warming up with a little hot chocolate
Remembering to take time for myself is difficult, as for most moms out there (and dads, too). Along with all the adult responsibilities I have, like working and paying bills, I also have a family, meaning meal planning, groceries, running errands, getting the kids to their extra curricular activities and everything else that life entails. I also have a knack for taking on lots of additional tasks, like my work with the school PAC and even writing this blog. These are all things that I enjoy deeply, and I have no regrets for any of the decisions I've made along the way. However, I'm not super-human, and even the best of us need to rest, which my body and mind made abundantly clear this week. So today was the perfect way to end out a busy and stressful month. To slow down, spend some happy time with my children, and enjoy the day with no set schedule, no pressure, and a little time for myself.
Remembering to rest is so important...Hot chocolate helps! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment